New message shows Gadhafi back

Written by by David Banner, CNN In a newly released audio clip, a son of the late leader Muammar Gadhafi openly mocks Libya’s new interim government, its leaders and even opposition movements. Saif al-Islam…

New message shows Gadhafi back

Written by by David Banner, CNN

In a newly released audio clip, a son of the late leader Muammar Gadhafi openly mocks Libya’s new interim government, its leaders and even opposition movements.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, who has been held for months by the Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC), can be heard in the recording referring to demonstrators who rallied for Libya’s long-serving leader.

“They burned the pictures of Gadhafi in the square because they wanted him dead, but they are probably still not ready to go back to the square and face themselves and the people who organized them,” he is quoted as saying.

Gadhafi disappeared in the West African nation of Niger last year before he could be brought to justice on allegations of crimes against humanity. He was later arrested in Libya and has not been heard from since.

On August 14, the rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) announced that it had received a message from Gadhafi urging it to stay in power until 2021.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi speaks in an audio message published by Al-Arabiya TV on July 12, 2012. ©2012 David Banner, Getty Images

The voice heard on the released audio was reportedly Gadhafi’s.

“Only an ignorant and blind mind will disbelieve this message,” the NTC said in a statement.

“The TNC categorically rejects this and insists on all legal proceedings, international ones and Libyan ones, until the last crook is taken to the Libyan people for sentencing to death.”

Rebel spokesperson Ahmed Bani said Gadhafi’s message to NTC leaders called them “mediocre” and said they “had done nothing to achieve what they promised.”

However, the NTC leadership rejected any reconciliation with the former dictator’s family.

The statement also pledged to bring those responsible for the destruction of military facilities and people killed during the civil war to justice.

Gadhafi was not in reach of supporters

On August 6, the video of Gadhafi’s son resurfaced online after being removed by the TNC following his arrest.

A copy of the recording posted on one of Gadhafi’s former staffers’ Twitter account claimed that Libya has advanced to the “next stage of the revolution.”

“A new precedent, and we will break all records,” Gadhafi said, suggesting that members of the interim government were not a united force.

He also made no mention of the popular support for his father.

The voice on the recording, which made its way back to Al-Arabiya TV, also described the uprising as “temporary,” blaming the recent death of a security chief on an opposition movement.

“They killed the colonel with blood. … It is because they know that if he stood up, we would all be killed,” Gadhafi said.

The recording was released nearly three months after Gadhafi’s son and brother-in-law were also released from detention.

Tripoli’s interim Prime Minister, Mahmoud Jibril, this week ordered a full investigation into Gadhafi’s death and vowed “severe punishment.”

Leave a Comment